Observed each year on the third Monday in January as “a day on, not a day off,” Martin Luther King Jr. day is a federal holiday designated as a national day of service designed to encourage all Americans to volunteer to improve their communities. And the reality is, we need each other now more than ever.
Barker invites you to take some time today to think about how you might engage and help serve your community and its members. Consider a few opportunities here at The Barker Adoption Foundation, including:
- Become a mentor to one of our older youth who are in need of support, connections, and guidance as they adjust to life in a new adoptive family. Mentors must be an adult adoptee and/or have spent time in foster care as a child/youth. Contact smceachnie [at] barkerfoundation.org (Saara).
- Do you like to write and create content? Consider writing a blog post for the Barker Blog. Contact mthomas [at] barkerfoundation.org (Margeline).
- Volunteer to be a caller for our September annual phonathon. Contact Mmazzei [at] barkerfoundation.org (Michele).
- Connect Barker with your local house of worship (church, temple, mosque [etc.), and] or your community groups (support groups, Rotary Clubs, fraternities, book clubs, PTA groups, etc.) where we can share information about older-child adoption and profiles of currently waiting children. Contact CBailey [at] barkerfoundation.org (Chantez).
- Make a monthly or annual gift to Barker. Your donation to our Annual Fund provides urgent, unrestricted funds to support all of the agency’s operations. Donate Now.
Barker is here to serve anyone touched by adoption. Please call us at (301) 664-9664 if we can be of assistance or if you would like to know more about any of the opportunities above.